The Importance of Carbon Monoxide Detectors

When you think about home security, the first things that come to mind are usually alarms and cameras that stop intruders breaking into your home. But comprehensive home security is much more than this. It helps protect your home against a multitude of disasters and accidents.

One threat that’s easy to forget about is carbon monoxide leaks. Read on to find out why carbon monoxide detectors are crucial in your home.

Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?

If a fire breaks out in your house while you are home, you are likely to notice it. Even if you are sleeping, there’s a chance that the smell of smoke could wake you up. Fire alarm systems simply help to alert you more quickly, ensuring that everyone can get out safely without suffering from burns or smoke inhalation.

But this isn’t the case with carbon monoxide. This dangerous gas is often referred to as the silent killer because not only is it poisonous, but it is also odorless, tasteless, and colorless. Without a carbon monoxide detector in your home, you won’t notice there is a problem until you start feeling unwell from exposure to this gas.

If a carbon monoxide leak occurs while you are sleeping and there is no alarm to warn you, then the consequences could be severe. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to brain damage and even death.

How is carbon monoxide created?

Carbon monoxide is formed when a fuel source does not burn properly. This could be caused by a coal fire or any appliance that burns gas, such as ovens and water heaters. It is essential to have your gas appliances serviced regularly to ensure that they are safe.

As well as household appliances, the garage is a potential source of improper fuel burning. Your car, barbecues, and even gas-powered lawnmowers could create this dangerous gas, so always run them outside in the open air and make sure your garage is properly ventilated.

Protect your family against carbon monoxide poisoning

While carbon monoxide leaks are rare, their results are extremely dangerous, so it is always better to be properly protected against this risk. Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and could be life-saving. Placing a detector close to a fuel-burning appliance, such as your furnace, will help you detect this threat as soon as possible.

If your carbon monoxide alarm does go off, then you should exit your home as quickly as possible, opening doors and windows along the way to let fresh air into your home. You should also switch off any gas appliances and, if possible, shut off your gas completely. Test your carbon monoxide detectors regularly to ensure they are working, and familiarize yourself with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to help you recognize it.

If you want to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning and other household threats, then contact Carolina Alarm to get your home security system up to scratch around Greensboro, Kernersville, Winston Salem, and High Point.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *